C. Beth.
C. Beth run.
C. Beth smile.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day off

I had a rough night last night, thanks to a coughing kid (who at one point briefly turned into a vomiting kid.) Good times. I decided to sleep this morning instead of running.

And I'm realizing, I needed that time off. I remember being told by someone I trust, "It's better to under-train than to over-train." I think a lot of my issues lately are due to overtraining, and I'm finally finding myself willing to train a bit less. I'll be switching to three days a week instead of four.

I really hate that my mileage won't be as high as planned, which means it'll be awhile before I hit that "most weekly mileage ever" milestone. But I've got to give my legs more of a break. They've been telling me that for a long time, and I'm finally listening. I want to be healthy for my race!

I'll prioritize my long runs, and adjust the frequency and distance of my short runs as needed. My first book and my KT tape should be in the mail tomorrow, so we'll see how all these new strategies work together!

1 comment:

Steph said...

I hope your kiddo feels better.
I think getting some rest is a great idea. I liked Janine's "rule" I read on the BRS forum: If you can run half the distance in training then you can finish your race. Not necessarily in the best conditions/time but you can finish. Thinking of that reduced my stress about my training for my first race. Some weeks I can run only twice, but I make sure to have 1 long run per week. And if I can run 8k I will have no pb finishing a 10k.

Also, I read something about IT band that I wanted to share with you. It's from "Chi running":

One of the most common causes of ITB soreness happens in runners whose pelvis sways side to side with each step. Another common cause is running with your toes pointed outward.
Solution: focus on keeping your pelvis level, front to back and side to side. Level you pelvis in between runs as well.

You can look at the book for more details about leveling your pelvis.

Maybe you already looked into this but if you didn't it may help with your IT band problem.

Take care.
Sloutre