C. Beth.
C. Beth run.
C. Beth smile.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Update

Well, it's been 20 days since I blogged here. I suppose an explanation is warranted!

I ended up making an appointment to see the physical therapist I saw last November. I also decided to take a break from running, just walking instead, to let my IT band area heal.

I ended up cancelling the PT appointment due to a sick kid, but I decided not to reschedule. I think with just walking, there is a good chance that time will heal this injury. I'm taking the wait-and-see approach right now, hoping I don't have to go back to the doctor, but open to that if necessary.

I've been walking two to three times a week the last few weeks. It's going pretty well. I feel like my leg is gradually improving, but it's definitely gradual. I'm hoping after a few more weeks, things will be much better.

4 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

I wondered what happened with PT and thought maybe I just missed it while traveling. I'm sure it's frustrating not to run but I also know it was frustrating to deal with the pain. I really hope this walking time will heal the injury so you can be off and running again soon.

runner240 said...

I had the same issue the only thing that will help is to stay off of it for about 4-6 weeks then work back into running slowly adding strengthening, stretching, and Icing followed by elevating your leg for as long as you can.

Dan Moriarity said...

Good luck with your IT issues. That's a tough injury, I've had it twice. What really seemed to help was strengthening my quads by doing leg extensions on a nautilus machine or with free weights. The stronger your quads are, the more they can support your knees and therefore less stress is placed on your ITB.

Anyway, I hoe you get back to running soon.

Dan.

Dan Moriarity said...

Oops, I meant *hope* darn typos :o)